Can I Dream?


When I look around at the world, I see a place full of pain. I see multitudes of people who are tired, confused, and in search of answers. I see a population that has accepted the idea that the only way to achieve their dreams is by stifling the dreams of those around them. This saddens me. I’m distraught when I turn on the television and am bombarded with a constantly negative message. I’m troubled by the fact that every news outlet seems to highlight every depressing news story while conveniently overlooking the good that takes place in this world. I’m sickened by the fact that virtually all the music on the radio propagates a message of negativity. This is not only wrong, but it is negatively affecting our society as a whole. What kind of future can our kids expect when they are constantly being told that they’ll never accomplish their dreams? Where will we be 10 years if we continue to accept the negative assertion being preached to us that we would be happier if we just lived out our common cookie-cutter existences in submission to the status quo? I don’t know about you, but I’ve decided that somebody has to do something to change this and since I can’t control anyone but myself, that’s who I’m going to start with.

We all have something we excel at, but the mark that we leave on the world will ultimately be determined by what we choose to do with it. As for me, I’m choosing to use my gifts and talents to make the world a better place; to tell people that your end is not determined by your beginning. No matter who you are and where you come from, you have the power to make any dream you may have come true no matter how impossible it may seem; all it takes is a little faith. I dream of a world where the word “impossible” is replaced with “undiscovered;” a world where young people of every race, creed, color, nationality, background, and socio-economic status is ingrained from youth with the idea that they can achieve anything they set their minds to. This will be a world that cultivates creativity and individualism. In this world kids will grow into adults who will advance their reality beyond the wildest dreams of their predecessors; and all of this can start with the decision of a few people to decrease the negativity, increase the positivity, and work to make the world a better place. I’m making that decision. What about you? 

Comments

Popular Posts